Approximately 2 years ago, I began discussing running for Sheriff with my family. I expressed my reasoning for running and began a written outline of my goals for the Sheriff’s Department if elected. These goals aim to reduce the county’s liability through the implementation of policies and procedures to set the standards of professional conduct of all Sheriff’s Department employees.
The Detention Center
● Implement Policy and Procedures to set operational guidelines for the duties, conduct, and expectations of detention center staff, and for the intake and housing of inmates.
● Assemble a team of independent Jail Administrators and professional corrections consultants to complete a risk assessment of the detention center. Once complete, I will implement a plan to immediately correct any risks identified.
● Work with the U.S. Marshals to secure a contract to house federal inmates in an effort to subsidize funding for the operation of the detention center.
● Evaluate current contracts for inmate phone, video visiting and canteen ensuring all rates are competitive and maximizing profitability for jail operations.
The Patrol Division
● Implement Policy and Procedures to set operational guidelines and standards in areas such as; operation of an emergency vehicle, professional conduct, community involvement, and the enforcement of traffic laws on county roads.
● Establish operational zones within the county to assign the deputies to patrol, reducing the response times for calls for service.
● Ensure deputies are scheduled to maximize the number of deputies that are patrolling the rural areas and during times of the high volume of calls for service.
● Work with the county commission to set up a Sheriff's Department substation in Northern St. Francois County to save on fuel consumption and wear and tear on patrol vehicles.
● Implement the utilization of dash cameras and body cameras for all patrol deputies.
● Establish policy and procedures for all administrative positions.
● Develop a recruitment program.
● Review all existing contracts to make sure all obligations are being met and are competitive.
● Review all expenditures to look for areas to reduce any unnecessary spending.
● Work with the county's insurance carrier to incorporate policy and training that will lower the cost of insurance.
● Apply for Federal and State grants to acquire needed equipment, equipment upgrades and salaries for deputies to be utilized as School Resource Officers.
● Work with the county commissioners and state legislatures to acquire funding through CARES Act funds available for facility improvement, jail expansion, and replacement of the Sheriff’s Department administrative building.